WORK WITH US
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (GRADE N1)
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (GRADE N1)
The National AIDS Commission (NAC) was first established in 2001 as a Public Trust; it was later reconstituted into a body corporate in 2018 through the enactment of the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Management) Act No. 9 of 2018. The Act mandates NAC to coordinate, facilitate and provide leadership for the implementation of the national response to HIV and AIDS by all stakeholders. The Act provided NAC with new functional roles and therefore made it imperative that its organizational structure and jobs be restructured to take into account the provisions of the Act.
The operationalization of the Act has presented a number of opportunities for the Commission in relation to the organizational set up and functions which requires that NAC should have effective and efficient strategic leadership and management. Therefore, a rare opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at NAC tenable at its Head Office in Lilongwe. This is a highly demanding position that requires a person who has demonstrable capacity to initiate administrative and managerial innovations geared at making the Commission a vibrant and competitive institution.
The NAC Board of Commissioners therefore invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position on a three (3) year fixed term employment contract as follows: -
Job title: Chief Executive Officer
Grade: N 1
Reporting to: Board of Commissioners
Terms of Employment: Three (3) - year contract renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
Job Purpose: To provide strategic direction and overall coordination in the implementation of HIV and AIDS in the National Response and ensure efficient and effective implementation of all activities of the Commission.
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
The incumbent is expected to direct and manage the multi sectoral approach to the fight against HIV and AIDS, working with a variety of stakeholders on various programmes and interventions. The CEO shall take the overall responsibility for the provision of efficient and effective strategic direction and implementation of all activities of the Commission.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will have the following key duties and responsibilities: -
1. Leading, directing, coordinating and facilitating implementation of NAC activities in the National Response as contained in the National HIV and AIDS Strategic Plan (NSP) and HIV and AIDS Management and Prevention Act of 2018.
2. Leading and coordinating the development of appropriate organizational policies and the NSP, and upon approval by government, coordinating the implementation.
3. Providing overall direction on a range of issues relating to HIV and AIDS to NAC and other stakeholders.
4. Mobilizing and equitably disbursing the resources to ensure effective and efficient utilization towards the National Response.
5. Managing and coordinating the implementation of government laws, regulations and policies, and providing technical support to government in the formulation and review of HIV and AIDS laws and policies.
6. Liaising with the Secretary responsible for HIV and AIDS in monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of the National Response.
7. Liaising with all government ministries, departments and agencies on matters relating to the National Response and ensuring that there are no barriers to information.
8. Accrediting HIV and AIDS information produced by any person or body before dissemination.
9. Providing technical guidance, capacity building and support to stakeholders.
10. Providing timely reports to the Board of Commissioners and upon approval; to the Minister and Development Partners where necessary on the implementation of the National Response
11. Assessing and managing opportunities and threats affecting the overall coordination of the National HIV and AIDS Response and providing periodic reports to the Board of Commissioners.
12. Representing the National AIDS Commission at high-level meetings.
13. Coordinating crosscutting national programmes/approaches including emerging issues in the National Response.
14. Overseeing the management of programs, finances, human resources and administration of the Commission.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
The applicant should possess:
1. Both a First Degree and a Master’s Degree in any of the following subject areas (Social Sciences or Public Health or Epidemiology or Medicine). Having a PhD will be an added advantage.
2. A Minimum of ten (10) years post graduate management experience, five (5) of which should be at senior management level.
COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidates for the position should:
1. Have in depth knowledge of the issues and implications of the HIV and AIDS pandemic at both local and international level.
2. Possess planning and project management skills.
3. Have experience in leading high level policy development in a complex multi-sectoral environment, including developing partnerships with external development partners and nongovernmental organizations.
4. Be an optimistic and determined individual able to resolve, meet and overcome inevitable challenges facing the Commission in achieving its goals and objectives.
5. Have excellent interpersonal, team building and leadership skills.
6. Be able to inspire trust, confidence and respect of others and able to acknowledge and value the contribution of others.
7. Be an effective communicator, flexible and responsive strategic thinker with the ability to conceptualize and express high level policy and translate them into clear strategic direction.
8. Be able to empower, delegate and provide support to subordinates.
9. Have a clear understanding of the socio-economic fabric of the country.
10. Have a verifiable results-oriented track record.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The successful candidate will be offered an employee benefits package in accordance to the emolument structure (commensurate with qualifications and experience) which includes salary, medical insurance, and membership to Contributory Medical Scheme.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Candidates should submit their applications with:
(i) An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV);
(ii) Names and Contacts of Three Traceable Referees, at least one of whom should have been a first or second level supervisor of the applicant within the last five (5) years; and
(iii) Copies of their Academic and Professional Qualifications together with a National ID.
Please quote the job title being applied for on the envelope. The application should be sent to the address below:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations,
P.O. Box 30061,
The closing date for all applications is 18th March 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Posted By: Karen Iron Msiska