WORK WITH US
Project Accountant (One year contract)
The National AIDS Commission (NAC) is a body corporate established in 2001 and reconstituted through the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Management) Act No. 9 of 2018 with new functional roles. The Act mandates NAC to coordinate and provide leadership for the implementation of the National response to HIV and AIDS.
The National AIDS Commission (NAC) has secured funding from the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in support of a project titled “Strengthening Multi-sectoral Coordination and Implementation and Monitoring of HIV/AIDS in Malawi”.
The purpose of the project is to reduce high HIV prevalence and incidence in Malawi, recognizing age, gender, and geographic disparities. It will provide coordination and support of HIV prevention activities offered by international and local partners related to VMMC, GBV, PrEP, KP, and other holistic services that target HIV risk factors. The project will also increase the ability of PEPFAR supported HIV/TB prevention programming in Malawi to successfully meet objectives in a cost efficient manner. The target populations for this project include AGYW, KP (e.g. MSM and FSW) health care workers, adolescent boys and young men, boys and girls ages 9-14, other priority groups (e.g. tea plantation workers, fishermen), and men.
NAC, therefore, seeks to recruit suitable candidates to fill the position below to work on this project for an initial one year contract subject to renewal depending on the availability of resources:
Position : Project Accountant (One year contract)
Reporting to : Head of Finance
The Accountant shall be responsible for overall project finance management and support project implementation. He/she shall ensure that all project accounting records are timely maintained and the project financial transactions adhere to set procedures, standards and practices.
Duties and responsibilities
Among others, the Projects Accountant shall perform and be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
1) Ensure that Projects’ finances are effectively and efficiently utilized in in line with agreed funding terms and requirements;
2) Ensure that all vendors are timely paid all books of accounts are timely updated and transactions are correctly captured in the system;
3) Updating all committed payments that are yet to be cleared in a timely manner and ensure that the commitments are reported on monthly, quarterly and annual basis;
4) Monitoring and controlling expenditure in line with the agreed deliverables and budget and ensure that appropriate action is taken by management to curtail any foreseeable negative impact on the project’s finances;
5) Ensure that payments are processed according to the established approval procedures and payment requisitions are properly supported and authorised;
6) Ensuring that effective financial controls are implemented in liaison with the Head of Finance and the Project Coordinators;
7) Ensuring that all payments are duly sanctioned and have supporting documentation;
8) Monitoring projects’ daily bank balances and ensure timely liquidations;
9) Prepare monthly bank reconciliations, monthly, quarterly and annual funds utilization reports for management, donors and stakeholders use;
10) Play a leading role in the preparation of project budgets in conjunction with the Project Coordinator for approval by the relevant authority;
11) Prepare for and work with internal and external auditors and ensure that all audit queries are timely addressed and should not be repeated or reappear in subsequent audits;
12) Preparing financial statements and producing year end project accounts;
13) Performing other responsibilities / duties, as determined and agreed to by NAC Management and CDC from time to time.
Education Qualifications and Experience
1) Bachelor of Accountancy or Finance, with at least four (4) years’ postgraduate experience in a busy accounts office or
2) Professional Qualification such as –ACCA, CIMA or CA, with at least two (2) years’ postgraduate experience in a busy accounts office.
3) Good knowledge in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
4) Experience in using the Sage ERP 300.
5) Experience in managing public and donor funds will be an added advantage
· Have good interpersonal skills and ability to work with teams;
· Have a thorough exposure and knowledgeable to developing and managing databases;
· Be Proactive;
· Be able to work under pressure;
· Have strong analytical skills; and
· Have strong excel and power point presentation skills.
Location and Travel: The Project Staff will be based in Lilongwe at the National AIDS Commission with periodic travel to project implementing partners to facilitate coordination and represent the project in national fora as needed.
The successful candidates shall be offered an attractive package commensurate with the position, experience and qualifications.
Method of Application
Eligible candidates meeting the required qualification and experience should submit their application with up to date detailed CV indicating names of three traceable referees, and attach copies of academic and professional certificates. Applications should be received not later than 2nd April 2021 to the following address:
The Chief Executive Officer
National AIDS Commission
P. O. Box 30622
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.Posted By: Karen Msiska